n this modern era, everyone wants to save time and be in their comfort zone. Hence, the use of personal vehicles which include cars has been increasing like never before. Due to this increase, a lot of people face accidents and get injured. But say thanks to the seat belts of your cars because they have been proven to reduce the number of injuries that people face due to accidents on roads, so now before going to any trip try answer for How Are Seat Belts Tested & it will help you to ensure your safety.
Wear 3-point seat belts that have got pre-tensioner technology as it provides the best protection whenever you face some accident or crash on the road. These belts usually go over the shoulder and the waist of the occupant, providing better safety than the usual two-point seat belt which goes over the lap only.
Pretension technology helps in tightening the belt in order to reduce the tendency of the person to move forward while some crash or accident takes place on the road. Hence, this belt reduces the great risk of injury of all the car passengers.
There are strict rules all over the world that the driver and passengers (including children, pregnant women, and elder people) must wear seat belts. Everyone must take care that their seat belts are properly fastened and adjusted. Also, there must be only one person seating on each seat and seat belt.
How Are Seat Belts Tested (Parameters to check)
|Seat Belt Safety Parameters||Description|
|Buckles||Check is the buckle is loose or not|
|Webbing||Check for any hole, cut or fraying|
|Adjusters||Adjust the slider at the shoulder level of the passenger|
|Retraction||Pull the seat belt suddenly to check retraction|
|Twisting||Untwist the belt to check for impacts due to stresses in twisted area|
Asking yourself how often do you check your seat belt can be a tricky question because a lot of people underestimate the need to check these lifesaving mechanisms regularly.
The law that the driver and the front passengers must have their seat belts on came into effect in 1983 and later on in 1991, this law was revised by requiring all the passengers in the car to wear their seat belts. However, still, some people are there who choose not to wear seat belts. Due to this irresponsible act of not wearing seat belts, the rate of fatality due to crashes and road accidents doubles.
So, if you are the one who has not checked or inspected his car’s seat belts for around months or more, now is the time to go and check your lifesaving mechanism. There are some obvious faults that your seat belt can have and this can be identified by a quick inspection only.
Seat Belt Safety
Below we have mentioned the details about some major faults in a seat belt that can have an adverse effect on the effectiveness of your seat belt. Check out the following faults in your seat belt for the quick inspection of your lifesaving mechanism.
- Buckle: Look at it for any signs of damage. Get your seat belt fastened by pulling it and check if the buckle is secure. Also, check the stalk to find out if there is any loose connection to the vehicle.
- Webbing: Check the webbing of your seat belt properly. If there are holes, cuts, nicks, and fraying in the webbing, then this can put an adverse effect on its effectiveness.
- Adjusters: Are you using the adjuster of your seat belt correctly? Well, for your information, you must know that the adjuster by be positioned above the shoulder of the occupant to ensure the best safety and this should be done to all the passengers in the car for their maximum safety.
For all the occupants who have at least a height of 135cm, the slider or the adjuster must be at the top position of the seat. Whereas if the occupant is small whose shoulder level is below the top level of the seat, then the slider or the adjuster can be adjusted in such a way that it rests somewhere in the middle of the shoulder.
- Retraction: For the proper functioning of the seat belt, there must be a smooth retraction. In case you notice any hesitation, slowness, delay in retraction or you experience some jerk movements, then this indicates that your seat belt is not functioning well and it is the time to get it repaired or get the new one.
To check the retraction, pull the seat belt suddenly and quickly with a force. If the retractor will lock, then your seat belt is working properly.
- Twisting: Seat belts are not supposed to be twisted because it can impact the belt by developing stresses in the twisted area. So, untwisting is a quick method to check your seat belt. This can be a little tricky for the very first time you will do it. In order to do untwisting proper, you can go to youtube and watch some videos related to it.
Benefits of Wearing a Seat Belt
- Safety to everyone: Seat belts are the major lifesaving mechanism in our vehicles and this has already been proven in a lot of studies and researches.
- Keeping you in place: The seat belt helps to keep us in place while we are facing any jerk or going through some uneven road. People sometimes do not realize that the G-forces that are created during the impacts can cause bad strains in their bodies and this can end up giving you some serious injuries when the belt is not worn.
- Designed to work with airbags of your vehicle: Airbags along with your seat belts are used to keep you in place. In case you are not wearing your seat belts, then the airbag system also remains ineffective.
- Saves you from receiving fines: As we already know that according to laws, it is compulsory for all the passengers to wear seat belts. If you are caught not wearing your seat belts, then you will be required to pay the fine for breaking the law.
Checking your lifesaving mechanism regularly is very important. If you see any of the above-mentioned faults in your seat belt then do follow all the parameters we talked about to resolve how are seat belts tested, then probably it is the time for you to replace it with a new one.